First established in 1890 in Kuwait, we have a strong history of growth across our markets.
Since 1983 Alshaya has been a pioneering force in international brand franchising. Today Alshaya operates in multiple sectors including Fashion, Food, Health & Beauty, Pharmacy, Home Furnishings and Leisure & Entertainment. Discover some of our highlights below.
- The Alshaya family establish their business in Kuwait and it grows steadily over the years. Their name becomes a byword for trading and commerce in the region.
- The company expands substantially and builds a wide portfolio of businesses and investments.
- Alshaya enters international retail franchising with the opening of its first Mothercare store in Kuwait.
- Over the next two decades Alshaya grows across the Middle East, expanding its fashion portfolio including Debenhams, moving into Health & Beauty in 1992, and into Food in 1999 when it partners with Starbucks.
- Leading cosmetics brand M.A.C opens in 2001. Alshaya expands beyond the Middle East with moves into Turkey in 2002, Russia in 2005, Egypt in 2006, and CEE in 2007.
- Alshaya also expands into the Pharmacy and Optics sectors, with the debut of both Boots and Vision Express (2005 and 2006).
- Further fashion and food brands open including the first H&M in the region in 2006, Dean & Deluca in 2008, and P. F. Chang's, Pinkberry and Payless ShoeSource in 2009.
From the start of the decade Alshaya continues to grow and expand its partnerships with an exciting mix of leading international brands:
- 2010: Alshaya welcomes American Eagle Outfitters and Victoria’s Secret to the region. It expands into Home Furnishings with Pottery Barn and Pottery Barn Kids.
- 2011: US food brands Texas Roadhouse and Shake Shack join the portfolio. Alshaya expands into Morocco.
- 2012: Dubai sees the much anticipated opening of The Cheesecake Factory. Harvey Nichols Kuwait, Jack Wills, COS, West Elm and Williams-Sonoma all debut in Kuwait.
- 2013: Alshaya expands into Leisure & Entertainment with the opening of KidZania Kuwait. MUJI also opens the same year.
- 2015: Alshaya opens its 3,000th establishment. Award-winning restaurant brand Raising Cane’s also makes its Middle East debut.
- 2017: Further beauty brands arrive with the launch of Charlotte Tilbury, NYX Professional Makeup and Le Labo. Fashionistas welcome & Other Stories.
- 2018: Fashion brands Monki and Kurt Geiger open. Further fragrance brand partnership with Dr. Vranjes. Our Food business welcomes customers to Blaze Pizza. TEKZONE, our award-winning virtual reality (VR) destination extends our leisure and entertainment offer.
- 2019: Amiti Noura, and Ahwet Zeitouna open and expand our restaurant offer further. We also announced our hospitality partnership with Hilton for the Hampton by Hilton and Canopy brands, and Equinox.
- 2020: The year started with the arrival of Milanese bakery, Princi. As Covid-19 changes customer shopping habits Alshaya's eCommerce offer expands rapidly.
- 2021: Alshaya's portfolio of brand sites and apps crosses the 100 milestone mark – the largest digital footprint in the region. The Disney Store shop-in-shops open at Debenhams and Mothercare.
Did you know?
Alshaya is believed to be the oldest company in Kuwait. M.H Alshaya Co. was registered in 1890 and initially established trading links between Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and India.